Recipe by Smokai
- 2 Kg Venison
- 1 Kg Pork Belly
- 1 Cup Ice water
- 60g Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chilli flakes (Optional)
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp pink salt (optional but read the section on Cures)
Thoroughly chill meat and cut into 25mm cubes. Mix all the dry ingredients together including garlic.
Sprinkle over meat and mix thoroughly so all the dry ingredients has coated and stuck to the meat. Chill thoroughly again for two hours.
Grind meat twice through the fine plate in your mincer. Mix well until it becomes sticky. Stuff into thin Pig sausage skins/casings and make into 400mm lengths and tie into loops.
Hang in your smoke house and follow smoking directions bellow.
COOK AS FOLLOWS
- 50 Deg C for 1 hour no smoke
- 60 Deg C for 1 hour heavy smoke.
- 75 Deg C Until an internal temp of 67 Deg C is reached, usually about 2 hours.
Eat straight away of plunge into iced water to arrest cooking and prevent shrinkage allow to dry and develop colour before refrigerating. Eat within 3 – 4 days.
Allow to surface dry for two hours with all smoke house vents open.
The temperature should not exceed 30 Deg C throughout the entire process.
- Less than 30 Deg C for two hours drying time to create a good pellicle.
- Less than 30 Deg C for 3 hours light smoke
- Less than 30 Deg C for 3 hours heavy smoke.
Refrigerate immediately and eat within 1 week.