Converting a Barrel into a Smoker
There are many different ways to convert a barrel. The following high level guide results in a great upright barrel smoker.
- Secure the oak panels to the metal bands both above and below the opening.
- Saw the top quarter off the barrel between the secured bands, making it as even as possible.
- Screw on a handle and hinge in your preferred position.
- Secure wooden or metal tabs on the inside where you intend to place your smoking racks.
- Ensure adequate ventilation/airflow
- Mount your Smokai Smoke Generator (refer section below)
The average barrel is capable of taking at least two racks or if you prefer you can hang you food from dowels.
Ventilation (or airflow) is critical to produce a quality result. The Smokai adjustable vent is perfect for the top of the barrel. A few smaller holes should be also be drilled near the bottom for air to be drawn into the barrel.