Converting a Hive into a Cold Smoker
The Hive Smoker is a great cold smoker in so many ways:
- It’s modular, so it's completely scalable - the larger you want it the more stories you add.
- It's constructed from untreated pine or cedar.
- It's constructed from standard Bee Hive parts that are available from apiary suppliers in most cities.
- Ventilation holes can be easily drilled to allow sufficient air flow through the hive which is essential for a good quality smoke.
- The inside top ‘lip’ on each story has a recess on which you can place your smoking racks or dowels if you are hanging your food.
- You can swap the position of the stories during smoking if desired.
The Smokai 1L Smoke Generator is the perfect model for a converted hive.
The hive smoker is so simple, it's brilliant! It takes less than an hour to construct.
All Smokai Smoke Generators feature the Smokai-Modular-System™. This is a mount based system, meaning the mount has been built into the product. It also makes assembly, disassembly, ash disposal and cleaning super quick and easy.
STEP 1: Drill a hole* into the bottom story of your hive and attach your Smokai 1L Classic Smoke Generator with the two bolts suppled.
*Hole Diameters Required
Smokai Classic Smoke Generator: 30mm or 1 1/4”
STEP 2: Install two air vents to create sufficient airflow through the hive; one on the bottom story and one on the top story (the Smokai Adjustable Vent is ideal).