Hot Smoked Duck
Game Bird Recipes
Hot smoking is a method of smoking food that involves cooking the food at the same time as smoking it. Here's a great recipe for hot smoked duck, an awesome alternative to your traditional smoked chicken and turkey.
- 1 whole duck (4-5 pounds)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Smokai Smoke Generator
- BBQ/Smoker/Smoke Chamber
Quality Woodchip or Pellets (Try Apple or Cherry)
- Matches or a lighter
For the Marinade
- Rinse the duck and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Season the duck generously with salt and black pepper, both inside and out.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil, grated ginger, minced garlic, and Chinese five-spice powder.
- Place the duck in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Preheat your smoker to 225°F (110°C) and light your Smokai Smoke Generator using your wood of choice.
- Remove the duck from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Place the duck on the smoker grate, breast side up.
- Smoke the duck for 4-5 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Remove the duck from the smoker and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Serve the smoked duck with your favorite sides, such as steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or a salad.
- Enjoy your delicious hot smoked duck!