We recommend that you check inside after making your first cut, as we've heard of guys striking it lucky by managing to get a few tipples of oak aged whiskey out of their barrels before converting. For those breaking into a Wine barrel, leave anything that’s left – it’s likely to be corked.
Barrel smokers are practical and easy to make. They can also double as a great ‘leaner’ on your patio or deck.
CONVERTING A BARREL
- Secure the oak panels to the metal bands both above and below the opening.
- Saw the top quarter off the barrel between the secured bands, making it as even as possible.
- Screw on a handle and hinge in your preferred position.
- Secure wooden or metal tabs on the inside where you intend to place your smoking racks.
- The average barrel is capable of taking at least two racks or if you prefer you can hang you food from dowels.
- Drill a ventilation hole on the top of the barrel to allow draw and air flow for good quality smoked product. You can make dampers for these if you wish.
MOUNTING TO A CONVERTED BARREL
All Smokai Smoke Generators feature the Smokai-Modular-System™. This is a mount based system, meaning the mount has been built into the product, so you don’t need any other hardware.
Most barrels have a hole in the middle which offers the perfect fit for any Smokai Smoke Generator. If you would like to mount the Smoke Generator in another position, drill a hole* into your barrel and attach the smoke generator with the two bolts suppled.
*Hole Diameters Required:
Smokai Bullet and Classic Smoke Generators: 20mm (0.8“)
Smokai Magnum and Monster Smoke Generators: 40mm (1.6“)
The Smokai-Modular-System™ also makes assembly, disassembly, ash disposal and cleaning super quick and easy. The precision engineered, heavy duty modular components lock together firmly in seconds.