Recipe by Smokai
- 4 large or 6 small Duck breasts or 2 Goose breasts (Skin on)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks for smoking.
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Honey (Manuka if you have it)
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
- Score the Duck breasts (Skin side) in a chequer pattern, about 1.5 -2cm squares and ½ cm deep.
- Combine the Soy, wine, ginger, honey, salt and 5 spice.
- Pour the marinade into a zip lock bag and add the Duck breasts.
- Massage the marinade into the Duck breasts then squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Leave refrigerated overnight or minimum 3 hours.
- Remove Duck breasts for the bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat smoker to 150 Deg C.
- Using a thick based frying pan add a little sesame oil and heat until almost smoking hot,
- Seal the duck breasts on all sides until they are nicely coloured but very rare in the middle.
- Transfer the breasts to a smoking rack and place in your preheated smoker.
SMOKE AS FOLLOWS
Break up the cinnamon stick finely and mix it with your Smokai Maple smoking wood, enough for about 40 minutes smoking time.
Heavy smoke 150 Deg C. 20 to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the breasts. They should still be a little pink in the middle.
Serve straight away whole or sliced.