Recipe by Smokai
| || |
- 1 shoulder of wild or tame pork (Leave the fat on!)
- 1 litre med / sweet cider
- 100g sea salt
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 crushed juniper berries
- 2 chopped bay leaves
- 1 small dried chilli
- 1 cup balsamic
- 2 1/2 cup Fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Combine all the brine ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil then allow to cool completely. Place the shoulder into a non reactive food safe container, this need to be small enough that when the brine is added the shoulder is covered. Pour the brine over the shoulder and refrigerate covered for at least 8 but not longer than 12 hours.
Remove shoulder from the bag and pat dry with a paper towel.
COOK AS FOLLOWS
Preheat the smoker to110 Deg C. Medium smoke for about 6 hours (rule of thumb is 2.5 hours per KG). Internal temp should reach 90 Deg C.
The meat should easily pull from the bone serve hot with the blackberry relish.
For the relish combine all the ingredients in a saucepan with the exception of the blackberries. Boil until it has reduced to athick syrup then add the blackberries. Simmer until it has become jammy about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate before use.