- 5Kg lean beef (stewing/braising and chuck steak works well)
- 2.2Kg pork back fat or very fatty pork.
- 140g non-iodised Sea Salt (150g if not using pink salt)
- 1.2 litres iced water
- 15g good quality paprika
- 15g ground roasted coriander seeds
- 15g ground fennel seeds
- 5g ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic.
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp pink salt (optional but read the section on cures)
- Cut beef and pork fat into 25mm sq chunks and place in the freezer until it is crunchy but not frozen through.
- Grind through the coarse grinding plate in your mincer and spread out on a baking sheet and put back into the freezer until again partly frozen.
- Grind with the fine plate in your mincer.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet again and return to the freezer for 30 minutes or until crunchy.
- Mix the Iced water with all the dry ingredients and garlic making sure that the salt is completely dissolved.
- Place meat / fat into a food processor (you might need to do this in batches). Mix for at least5 minutes adding iced water mixture throughout the process until completely homogenised. Be very careful not to overheat the mixture (shouldn’t go over 10 Deg C) or the proteins and fat in your sausage will separate giving you a granular un-uniform texture.
- If you have processed this in batches mix all the batches together well to even out any inconsistencies in the seasoning.
- Stuff into sheep casings 150mm long and allow to surface dry in your refrigerator overnight.
- Hang the sausages in your smoker.
COLD SMOKE AS FOLLOWS
- Hang in your smoker, well vented for 1 hour to equalise temperature and surface dry.
- Heavy Smoke below 30 Deg C. For 3 to 4 hours.
To cook, put Hot Dogs into near boiling water 85 Deg C, or 15 to 20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 63 Deg C is reached, (do not allow to boil or they will split).
Eat straight away or quench immediately in iced water to arrest cooking and prevent shrinkage.
Store in refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days.